Who We Are
As a community of faith in downtown Richmond, fellowship and sincere connections foster our care and support for one another and are central to our common life. We welcome all whom God calls into the life, worship, work, and leadership of this church regardless of cultural heritage, skin color, socio-economic status, circumstances, or sexual orientation.
Second Presbyterian Church
Goals and Priorities
Our Mission Statement is:
We are called to be a witness to and for the world of the new reality that God has made available to all people in Jesus Christ. We seek to know Christ and to make Christ known in downtown Richmond and throughout the world.
- Create transformative experiences where we connect with God and one another
- Encourage faithful and regular attendance at worship
- Explore additional and alternative opportunities for enhanced worship experiences in style, format and timing
Enable every person to enrich and strengthen their journey of faith and discipleship
- Encourage belonging to church school classes, small groups and other nurturing fellowship endeavors which strengthen personal journeys of faith
- Provide more intentional and demonstrative greetings, welcoming and timely follow up to all guests
- Seek new members, those who will enrich our church family, in neighborhoods of close proximity to our location, to include young professionals, families, VCU students
- Reach out and re-engage members who are absent and have not attended regularly or been participating in the life of the church
- Provide vibrant and diverse programs and opportunities for engagement for all ages of children and their families, youth and their families, and young and older adults
The City of Richmond in Mission and Outreach
Engage a "Focus on Downtown" group to lead in reflection and to provide fresh ideas for new ways to serve God in downtown Richmond
Raise the awareness, engagement and commitment of our church's members in the downtown mission critical needs and the opportunities for Second Presbyterian Church to make a difference
Consider carefully the ministries that have received our energy in the past and present; develop new more focused and important ways to serve the downtown population
Serving God in the World
Make our global mission efforts increasingly relational; deepen our connections with our partners in Malawi, Guatemala, and other countries
Support the larger church's work through our presbytery and general assembly by supporting our missionaries
Expand our undesignated contributions to global missions
Inform, excite and involve the congregation in the full extension of our ministry around the world
Compassion and Care for One Another
Give sincere attention to new ways to connect, pray for, and support one another through neighborhood group gatherings
Strengthen current methods of communication and create new, more effective methods through electronic media opportunities and other creative, affordable means to reach out to our members, encourage engagement and participation and to promote and attract new members to Second Presbyterian Church
Strengthen and appreciate the work of the deacons
Give energy and attention to the celebration, care and nurturing of all members
Provide clarity and transparency regarding our churchâs resources and allocation of those resources
Increase commitments of stewardship through gifts of financial resources, talents, time and expertise from each member of the church to further grow and enhance the mission of the church and the work that God is calling us to do.
Recognizing that all things come from and belong to God, we value faithful, joyful, and Biblical stewardship of all His gifts, including time, talents, and financial resources. Our annual fall stewardship fundraising effort provides our members the opportunity to consider prayerfully how God has blessed them and to give back in proportion to their blessings in support of the many programs we offer at Second Presbyterian. Our annual budget is $940,000, and individual contributions comprise almost 85% of our total income.